Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 26
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32053 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
jhindo
Former World Community Grid Admin
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
MCM: Switching to sarcoma & now on Android

Hello everyone,

After two rounds of beta testing and months of behind-the-scenes work at both IBM and the Krembil Research Institute, I'm happy to announce that we've started releasing work units for sarcoma as well as for Android devices today.

While there are still a few ovarian cancer work units to be completed, most of the work you will receive from now on will be for sarcoma. As with both lung cancer and ovarian cancer, there is plenty of sarcoma work to be done.

We appreciate everyone's participation and patience during the extensive testing process for Android work units. Special thanks to World Community Grid developer Jonathan for leading the charge to make this possible.

Questions about the new work units? Please ask in this thread. And note that at this time we don't know what cancers the project will study after sarcoma, nor do we yet know if/when we'll be able to create Android work units for other projects.

Many thanks,
Juan
[Mar 10, 2020 2:25:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
supdood
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: MCM: Switching to sarcoma & now on Android

Great to hear! Could you please let us know if there are any differences in the minimum system requirements for the new sarcoma units and if the Android versions have separate min. reqs.? Thanks.
----------------------------------------
Crunch with BOINC team USA
www.boincusa.com

[Mar 10, 2020 2:38:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Great and thanks for the note. Had Android enabled for Beta and SCC but not for MCM.

Done.
[Mar 10, 2020 2:39:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[AF>Amis des Lapins] Bipleouf
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Great and thanks for the news. My Android is ready to crunch smile
[Mar 10, 2020 3:15:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
armstrdj
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

The new sarcoma work units should on average have a slightly larger memory footprint than the ovarian work units but there is no change to the system requirements. The Android version has the same requirements and runs the same work units as other platforms. We have however reduced the target runtime for the sarcoma work units to about half of what they were for the ovarian work units.

Thanks,
armstrdj
[Mar 10, 2020 6:14:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
supdood
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm seeing the effects of the shorter runtime target already. Haven't tested any on Android yet as they are full with SCC1.
Crunch with BOINC team USA
www.boincusa.com

[Mar 10, 2020 7:21:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hchc
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thank you WCG and Krembil! This is great news, and I've been looking forward to this for a while. Full speed ahead on MCM and SCC!
  • i3-8100 (Coffee Lake, 4C/4T) @ 3.6 GHz
  • i5-4590 (Haswell, 4C/4T) @ 3.3 GHz
  • E5800 (Wolfdale, 2C/2T) @ 3.2 GHz

[Mar 11, 2020 8:26:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BQL_FFM
Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Thank you for releasing work units for Android devices. Bought yesterday additional two octacores on Android 9 for 24/7 operation with WCG. biggrin
[Mar 15, 2020 8:07:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

We have however reduced the target runtime for the sarcoma work units to about half of what they were for the ovarian work units.

I have noticed since the inception of the sarcoma units a couple of items. First: The work units are very uniform. My experience is they vary in length only slightly, less than 5% on average.
Second: this batch seems to be more efficient on Windows than Linux. I have a Q6600 running stock on Windows Vista which is completing units faster than a Xeon X5670 running Linux. It is almost as fast as an I7 2600K running Linux. My I7 3770 Running Win7 is considerably faster than the I7 2600K running Linux. I will be switching my Windows machines to mostly MCM and leave the Linux machines running mostly SCC where Linux is much faster. I will leave them both running a few of the other projects.
Let me know if any others are seeing similar behavior. Thanks
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 19, 2020 1:24:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Second: this batch seems to be more efficient on Windows than Linux.

Hummm.
Ryzen 1700 (Ubuntu 18.04.4): 2 hours 31 minutes. That is a good long-term average that I have some confidence in.
Haswell i7-4771 (Win7 64-bit):, the first one is taking a little under 2 hours. We will see how it goes, but if they are consistent, that is it.

The speed of the two machines is very nearly equal otherwise.

That may be good for the project, since there are more Windows machines of course. But I always put any given project on my best machine for it, and I have ten Ubuntu machines and only one Windows one. So I am in a bit of a bind, not just with MCM but the others that go with it.

I hope they can optimize Linux a bit.

Thanks for checking.
[Mar 19, 2020 7:22:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread