Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 115
Posts: 115   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 60166 times and has 114 replies Next Thread
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Unable to Use API

@knreed

let error=`wget -O /dev/null https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/j_security_check 2>&1 | grep Location | grep /viewLoginError.do | wc -l`

Then you could check for $error -eq 1 meaning that login failed for some reason.

That could help me figure out what is going on - or - your could have your script retry login (or both).
Thank you for thinking with me. I see what you mean. Yes, the login probably failed.

Another idea springs to mind: we could look at the cookie file. A successful login would look something like this:
	.worldcommunitygrid.org	TRUE	/	TRUE	1527946318	Setup	…
.worldcommunitygrid.org TRUE / TRUE 0 WCG-LtpaToken2 …
.worldcommunitygrid.org TRUE / TRUE 1527896318 WCG-SESSION …
A login failure on the other hand is looking like this:
	.worldcommunitygrid.org	TRUE	/	TRUE	1527896270	WCG-SESSION	…
Do you think the script could learn something useful from the cookie file? For the moment I've implemented something in a test environment where I need "WCG-LtpaToken2" in the cookie file and if that string is absent, then login failed. I know something like "LtpaToken2" could change without any notice from WCG's administration, but I guess it will do for the time being. I've also added some code that Tony could use if there's a desire to further investigate (i.e. Tony would now only need to put a "#" in front of the line "DEVNULL=/dev/null" that I've put into the test-script).

Another way to look at it: the 'wcgresults' script never reported a login failure before 25-05-2018, so I could be trying to keep it that way. biggrin

Sorry for the delayed response. Checking for the presence of the WCG-LtpaToken2 cookie would also work since that is the cookie that stores the actual security credential post login. It will not be sent if the login fails. If you do add this logic, then you could also check the time on it and see if it expired and then login if the cookie is missing or expired rather than checking if that set of code has been visited already. Just a thought.
[Jun 5, 2018 2:56:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

As for BOINCStats and the others, then they need to comply with the GDPR too. It is quite right for IBM not to export data to them until they comply. Personally I hope that they do comply and that they continue to operate. If they don't comply, then it might be better if they close. But I also think the comment about risk is a good one. That is also what GDPR is about. And here we do have a clash between data which is (in my opinion) low risk if "lost", and a global company that is risk averse. But shouldn't we all err on the side of best practice?

Either way it sorts, I hope Willy, Bok and the others get legal advice before blindly entering into a contract with WCG which could expose them to future litigation with BIG Blue.
Perhaps it would be better if the stat's services treat WCG as a non-BOINC project and not report their stats.
We live in interesting times. wink
----------------------------------------

[Jun 5, 2018 4:28:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
shock Re: Unable to Use API

Dataman, displaying his WCG badges in his sig, but not on the WCG forum. confused
[Jun 5, 2018 5:32:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

Dataman, displaying his WCG badges in his sig, but not on the WCG forum. confused

laughing ... just eliminating some redundancy. cowboy

[Jun 5, 2018 6:52:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mmonnin
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi,

We understand the frustrations about some of the GDPR compliance changes recently implemented. I'd like to elaborate on a few (of the many) GDPR principles that may help explain the changes to the data export functionality, in particular.

First, personal information is defined fairly broadly and extends to any data which could be identifiable (e.g. a volunteer's team participation or contribution statistics). Another key principle is giving people control over their data, i.e. a user's right to update, share/hide, permanently delete their own data, etc. Also, any downstream processors of the data (i.e. not just whoever collects the data but anyone processesing it) must also comply with the GDPR requirements.
Many thanks for your continued support,
Juan

A user != a person. Many people can be the same user like coin pools. Thusly none of this applies. There is no personal name associated with anyone's account. There is nothing personal in the stats dump.

Or just do not export data for any user/team from an EU country so again GDPR doesn't apply.

Its sad people think that just because points don't show up on Free-DC that they aren't getting credit.

Maybe WCG should make their own stats site so there is at least some type of replacement. If WCG is going to lose so many members due to this they owe it to themselves.

[Jun 6, 2018 5:01:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

mmonnin,

You clearly haven't actually read the GDPR (though I wouldn't recommend it -- the document is 88 A4 pages long in English). Nevertheless, while I, too, could put forward all sorts of arguments as to why the GDPR does not apply here, they are all points of debate. Company lawyers want to be as satisfied as they can be that they are on safe ground and are extremely unlikely to lose any such arguments, so they will always err on the side of caution and assume that it might (does) apply.

We've got to live with the consequences of that.

But personally I think it's great that the impact of GDPR is actually being felt and that companies are taking it seriously and reviewing their data processing policies. That can only be good for society, because if (when?) "smart dust" arrives society is going to get thrashed even harder if the arguments haven't already been aired properly.
[Jun 6, 2018 5:31:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

laughing ... just eliminating some redundancy. cowboy

But the ones in your sig are not being updated at the moment. wink
[Jun 7, 2018 6:51:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

Back, before GDPR I've managed to get to Gold for recruiting...only 8 more people were needed for Ruby badge.

Now, some 2 weeks after GDPR & "WCG implementation of the rules" to block everything, 3 people gave up from my recruits.

Just wandering, how many people on a "larger scale" we're abandoning WCG?

Admin, Tech ?
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Jun 7, 2018 10:47:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mmonnin
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

mmonnin,

You clearly haven't actually read the GDPR (though I wouldn't recommend it -- the document is 88 A4 pages long in English). Nevertheless, while I, too, could put forward all sorts of arguments as to why the GDPR does not apply here, they are all points of debate. Company lawyers want to be as satisfied as they can be that they are on safe ground and are extremely unlikely to lose any such arguments, so they will always err on the side of caution and assume that it might (does) apply.

We've got to live with the consequences of that.

But personally I think it's great that the impact of GDPR is actually being felt and that companies are taking it seriously and reviewing their data processing policies. That can only be good for society, because if (when?) "smart dust" arrives society is going to get thrashed even harder if the arguments haven't already been aired properly.

I'm going by whatever you're said in previous posts.
A user != a person and there is no personal info.

This is not the side of caution. This is the extreme and nowhere close to the intent of the law. There are no SSDs, no credit cards, no addresses, no phone #s, not even an IP. This is the point of GDPR type of legislation which is probably a good thing

Its a fake made up userID, a country that could be changed at will to anything, team and point numbers. Hunt me down and use that steal my identity. /s

[Jun 7, 2018 11:52:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UBT - JohnR
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I see that LHC@Home which is based in the EU and must have it's own legal advice, and will be even more liable foe GDPR is exporting stats.
Organisations, companies, colleges and universities that wish to show themselves in a good light helping research will no longer get the same advantage from WCG.
Stats sites are free advertising, which WCG needs.
Teams who compete against each other will no longer wish to do WCG work.
One of the main requirements of GDPR is that data sould be up to date and relevent.
I have computers in my lists that were scrapped 10 years ago and GDPR requires that I should be able to delete tham. Points should be attached to a sign on name and not a computer. All other projects allow computers to be merged or deleted. I have computers listed that had Windows XP on them and again for Windows 7 and Windows 10 .
With the extra work for Climate Change due WCG should be looking to increase participation, not putting people off the project.
Sorry for the long post/rant.
[Jun 7, 2018 4:02:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 115   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread