Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 246
Posts: 246   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 108548 times and has 245 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: FC Language United

Yes 'far flung area' in relation to Denmark's Rotten Banana' seems to cover pretty well, Capt. Joe. Good suggestion.
Now you have opened that path, 'backwoods', 'out into the sticks', 'boonedocks' and such rings fittingly in my ears.

People from the Providence, Rhode Island, area would call Chepachet where I lived (an Indian name meaning 'Little gurgling brook', cute, eh?) those things in earnest
But then again, they were humored to pack a suitcase when travelling 15 miles from home ....
wink
[Oct 29, 2017 3:58:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Warning. This is a long read. devilish The Berlin edition.
As much I would like to speak other languages …
The Danish lyrics to the songs you provided haven't gotten me anywhere, little mermaid, I'm afraid. When I listened to 'Jeg ville eje millioner hvis tårer var guld' there was text missing, which was too confusing for me, with 'Hvor er alle drømmene du drømte?' I was too impatient, but I understand the title, and 'Hvem har du kysset i din gadedør lille Ann Mari?' doesn't translate very well, so giving up on that.
I found that I don't understand all pronunciations of the Danish vowels, I feel like I'm at the edge of a wood and don't know where to enter. It's also that I have a lot of other work to do (and also want to listen to the radio programs that I want to listen to and they take a lot of my time), so I hardly have time to listen to other songs. I'm letting you down. Sigh.
Which is why I have so much (pop)music in my head — and it is a joy forever. biggrin

Hemelbed
"Ik zou graag in een hemelbed willen liggen."
”Ich will gern?/möchte? in ein Himmelbett liegen”
Ich möchte gern in ein Himmelbett liegen.

The sequence of the words in Dutch is more like German than like English or Danish.
Correct, the Dutch sequence is almost exactly the same as German. There are few situations where the two languages differ.
In fact the English and the Danish sequences are identical twins in this case.
Really?
Anyway, when verbs are involved, German needs somewhat more attention than Dutch.
With singular verbs Dutch and German sentences have the same order:
- Ich | kenne | ihn | nicht. Ik kem hem niet.
- Heute Abend | gehen | sie | ins Konzert Vanavond gaan ze naar het concert.
- Wann | kommst | du | noch mal | zu Besuch? Wanneer kom je weer op bezoek?
Inversion happens in questions:
- Kennst | du | ihn? Ken je hem?
- Gehst | du | ins Konzert? Ga je naar het concert?
With compound verbs it becomes interesting: the first part of the compound verb is put upfront as finite verb and the second part ends the sentence; it looks as if the compound verb encloses the rest of the sentence:
- Ich | gehe | sehr gerne mit meinen Freunden | aus Ik ga heel graag met mijn vrienden uit.
- Ich | habe | ihn heute Morgen noch im Bus | gesehen Ik heb hem vanmorgen nog in de bus gezien.
- Ich | kann | morgen Abend nicht mit dir ins Kino | gehen Ik kan morgenavond niet met je naar de bioscoop (mee)gaan.
- Wann | wirst | du deine Arbeit endlich fertig | haben? Wanneer zal je je werk eindelijk klaar hebben?
In Dutch it is possible to vary a little bit with the sequence, e.g.:
- Ik ga heel graag met mijn vrienden uit. -or-
- Ik ga heel graag uit met mijn vrienden.
- Ik heb hem vanmorgen nog in de bus gezien. -or-
- Ik heb hem vanmorgen nog gezien in de bus.
- Ik kan morgenavond niet met je naar de bioscoop (mee)gaan. -or-
- Ik kan morgenavond niet met je mee(gaan) naar de bioscoop.

Furthermore, when two infinitives are at the end of a sentence, in German you need to put them in the right order, which is called Ersatzinfinitiv. In Dutch the order of those infinitives is the other way around:
- Ich habe ihm nicht helfen können Ik heb hem niet kunnen helpen.
- Ich habe dich nicht kommen sehen Ik heb je niet zien komen.
I note that your nouns are not spelled with a capital first letter as in German – which is a nice simplification.
Right. It is important to note that names of languages need a capital in Dutch (where French and German don't):
- Nederlands, Duits, Deens, Engels, Frans, Grieks, Hebreeuws, IJslands

I wasn't aware there were two wars between Germany and Denmark in the 19th century.

As for saying/pronouncing "Ik zou graag in een hemelbed willen liggen." Sighhh …. d oh
The 'g' is probably giving you a headache. It's the same sound as the 'ch' in Enschede and Scheveningen. Scheveningen en Enschede. Don't forget to pronounce the 'l' (ell) in 'hemelbed': heymolbæt. [ *h eː . m ə l . 'b ɛ t ]

If you still might think we don't know the word lied, please hear this song: 't Smurfenlied ("Dit is een lied met een leuk refrein" = This is a song with a nice refrain). laughing

As for the cost of public spending, we even sometimes have TV programmes where they show how money was thrown "over de balk" (they spent it like water). Here is a 'balk' (no need to know any Dutch! It's physical absurdistic theatre).

More absurdistic sketches? Please see 'Toren C' (Tower C): "Koffiezetapparaat" (Coffee-maker) (again, no need to know any Dutch).

Stringing words together, in Dutch it is easy: arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsformulier is a form that you need to fill out (or in) for your arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekering (when you want to insure yourself against the inability to work), and a 'verzekeringsmaatschappij' is an insurance company. (The 's' is more like a genitive, it's not a plural, because the plural of the noun 'verzekering' is 'verzekeringen'.) In Dutch, two nouns must be pieced together.

Bestuurslidje
Found this one on http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=152612: "Mocht het verhaal waar zijn, dan kan hij ook meteen stoppen met bestuurdslidje spelen." (Should the story be true, then he can also immediately stop playing 'bestuurslidje'.) The '-je'-part is 'a bit' belittling here. We do use 'een beetje' quite often in Dutch, while in all honesty we mean 'a lot': Hij is een beetje boos = He is a little angry (while it could mean that he is very angry).

wethouder
Alderman, town councillor. wet = law. houder = holder, keeper. Keeper of the law. Lawkeeper.

Plurals
Most Dutch words have plural +-en: woord → woorden (word, words)
If the last syllable already ends in -en, then it will be +-s: varken → varkens (pig, pigs)
In English it can be difficult, too: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spelling/plurals-of-nouns

Wind-speed
The 'windsnelheid' is expressed in km/h in the Netherlands. It has been a stormy night and we now have 'wintertijd' (wintertime) again.

Stavelot
Repaired the link. Stavelot is one of the oldest towns of Belgium. The city of Stavelot is known for the Battle of the Bulge. You can find three museums in the abbey of Stavelot. There is the Spa-Francorchamps Racetrack Museum, there is the Historical museum of the Principality of Stavelot-Malmedy and there is the Guillaume Apollinaire Museum. Worth seeing and widely known are the waterfalls of Coo. With 15 meters, the Amel has the highest waterfall in Belgium.

Berlin
What did I see? Late in the afternoon of the first day, after we lunched at the Greek Orankesee Terrassen, we went to the famous Wall (or what is left of it, of course) in the evening and it started raining as twilight was slightly setting in. We walked past Checkpoint Charlie and made a short walk through the streets, ending up dining at a Chinese restaurant.
The second day we passed die Marienkirche, walked Unter den Linden, passing several bookstalls, and went to the Neues Museum (New Museum) at the Museumsinsel (Museum Island). Afterwards we went to Brandenburger Tor and Kurfürstendamm, stopping by at a tearoom (drinking tea from a soup bowl-sized cup), taking a bus to Station Zoo, passing the Siegessäule (Victory Column) at the Großer Stern, a huge traffic roundabout.
On the third day it stormed. Time to visit some more museums at the Museumsinsel (remember 'island'). This time around we went to the Pergamonmuseum and the Altes Museum. It really stormed when we were done visiting museums. The doorkeeper at the museum said public transport was a mess. We decided to cross the bridge on the river Spree and look for a restaurant instead of returning to our hotel. While the wind was blowing hard we chose the HEat restaurant (part of Radisson Blu). Outside a small hurricane was reigning and wreaking havoc. After having had a delicious meal we leave the restaurant and the waiter shows us out: "Nicht wegfliegen!" (Don't fly away). It's still storming. At the tram-stop we wait for tram M5. M4-trams are passing by ten times and also one M6-tram does. We see 'M5: departure is delayed' at the info-sign. Three quarters of an hour later we are given hope: M5 surfaces from the opposite direction. It will turn around farther on and return to this tram-stop. The tram-ride goes by without further ado, many people at this time of the day ­— late in the evening — in the tram. It's almost twelve o'clock when we get out of the tram.
The next day we face an uprooted tree opposite our hotel, yesterday barring the tram-line. It's the end of our stay at Berlin and time to leave.

- 'behoefte' means 'need', indeed. (Also, the Dutch verb 'hoeven' means 'to need'. But let's not get into that.)
Why?
I didn't want to confuse you with too much information.

So now we have hoef, hoeve, and hof not to mention the hoefs/hoefen of the feet of the hoefdieren.
Plural of hoef is hoeven.
You need to distinguish between long and short vowels.
'hof' has a short vowel o, 'hoef' has a long vowel (digraph) oe.
(The Dutch digraph 'oe' is almost exactly pronounced as the German 'u'. To pronounce it in Dutch, you should make the vowel last a little longer. Try 'zoet' (sweet). Then try 'zoetgevooisd' (with a sweet voice).)
If the word ends in 'f' and the vowel is short, in the plural form the 'f' is doubled and 'en' is added. If the vowel is long, in the plural form the 'f' is changed into 'v' and 'en' is added.
But there are exceptions. The plural of 'hof' is 'hoven'.
Result:
hofhoven (also: hofjehofjes)
hoefhoeven
stofstoffen

'Hov' has also become 'hof' the word for the monarch's court.
In Dutch, 'hof' has several meanings, too: garden (hof van Eden = garden of Eden), gaard = garden (boomgaard = orchard), halo, circle, ring: tepelhof = areola; monarch's court; gerechtshof = court of justice.
[Oct 29, 2017 7:16:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Summary installment II
- am I driving you crazy, adriverhoef? Am I driving everybody crazy?
It will pass, I promise, it will pass ... the take-off was gentle, the landing will be soft - it's the inbetween that's the problem - it will pass

adriverhoef, do you remember you said this Wettermoderator Marco Verhoef wanted to speak with me about a job. Well, nothing came of it.
With my CV I brought this illustration of what the 100-year-event as to backlash flooding of waters returning from the Bay of Bothnia would look like we expect tonight. He just said:
"Oh, you have been busy with your crayons .... cute!"
I might as well play 'Alone again, naturally' sad
Anyway, adriverhoef, do you remember when we talked about flooding that I mentioned this special phenomenon we have in Denmark and which is caused by the funnel effect our narrow straits (sunde og bælter) when those huge masses of water decide to return to the North Sea.

We are for that tonight. It doesn't threaten any lives, I hope, just property, which is bad enough for those living there. We are well prepared because the stormy weather has been predicted five days before it will happen this night.

Paul Verhoeven - I'll do my best to pry myself away from the computer and watch your "Zwartboek" which the library got for me. I look forward to it more than I would have done had I not met a linguistic equivibrist like you, adriverhoef. You see, foreign movies are subtitled in Denmark as opposed to, say Germany, where they are dubbed, and John Wayne says: Hände hoch!"
hypnotized what will that be in Dutch?
- see you later - and by the way: We do not roll our 'r's in Denmark at all. I told you: We are simple people, no rolling, one plural biggrin
- oh, you have posted, I see .... Paul Verhoeven, you may need to wait een beetje

EDIT: betje -> beetje
blushing
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 24, 2018 2:55:41 PM]
[Oct 29, 2017 7:45:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Coming somewhat to my senses installment
- some sort of love declaration
love struck Thank you very much for your Berlin edition. That was during those stormy days ....
.... and the allegoric golden lady on top of the Siegessäule is celebrating the Germans' victory over Denmark in 1864 which gave us a national trauma from which we have not really recovered yet ....

adriverhof, these days of ping-pong with you, with so many words, and with so much music has been like sich hineinzustürzen – this whirlwind where that compartmentje in your brain is fed stuff you didn’t know it needed, and if you did, didn’t know where to find. To me it has been a love affair in a field where people wouldn’t think love existed.

Of course, you have spent all too much time here. I have wondered how you managed, you being a working person. Me having no job have been able to do very little besides growing this fascination, and my new Dutch homework is just piling up.
Dustbunnies! Windows needing cleaning!
Pushing all of that aside, eating and drinking greedily, enjoying that ping-pong with a Dutchman.

Of course, daily life catches up with you and with me. I hope we shall continue exchanging word wonders at a manageable scale in the future, because every day you meet things you would like to discuss with another person, but who is putting grammar and wordplays on the top of his/her list of items to discuss?
I really don’t know any. It seemed I had to go the Netherlands in order to hijack one.

Do you know the American car rental company called ”Rent a Wreck”?
We have a sister/copycat in Denmark. It’s called ”Rent a Corpse/Dead Body” which doesn’t swing all that well in English. But write it in Danish:
”Lej et lig”
– and all of a sudden it plays almost better than the American one. Alliteration and all.

On the window it says:
I know, but I still care to talk words. Hope you rose do too.
For both: as time allows.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 23, 2018 6:16:40 PM]
[Oct 29, 2017 10:37:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Testing if I can make a one-line post intallment
- a real challenge
Trademarks are interesting. Take *Danablu* for instance. Created to make your brain and mouth think Blue Cheese from Denmark.

- not bad - one line! cool Which trademark can you think of off the cuff?
[Oct 30, 2017 11:01:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

*luxaflex* - a trademark that has changed into a common Dutch word. "Honey, shall I close the luxaflex?" Does that count?
[Oct 30, 2017 12:57:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Expanding one-line installment
- I have shown that I can do it, haven't I? Hadn't expected withdrawal symptoms of this magnitude, though
Yes, I think that's a good one adriverhoef love struck
*Gardisette* was loved and hated in Denmark. We had a Gardisette-culture. Any lace curtain brand was called Gardisette. You put up Gardisette between your real curtains and the window panes.
You could look out, but 'they' could not look in angel
Once I read that the Dutch never pulled their curtains, because then the passers-by would think something fishy took place there behind them, something they wanted to hide.
Some social control measure to keep everybody on the path of virtue.
So now you Luxaflex for privacy? devilish
Indeed I met 'naked' windows as well as privacy ones.
The vertical Luxaflex is quite popular in Denmark.
And no, I'm not gonna count them lines now ... will cut down in my next post ....

[Oct 30, 2017 1:32:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Paul Verhoeven installment
- just got pretty excited
adriverhoef, getting ready to go to the movies. Our local Asta-klubben - the Asta Club named for Asta Nielsen -
which shows 'narrow' movies
-'narrow books' are good quality literature that just doesn't sell well
The one they show today happens to be 'Elle' directed by Paul Verhoeven.
Add that to my waiting 'Zwartboek' and I all of a sudden I will have tripled my Dutch film count
+ I will have sampled Paul Verhoeven.
biggrin
- and I'll listen carefully to them speaking Dutch angel
- pretty low line count tongue

[Oct 30, 2017 3:09:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Once I read that the Dutch never pulled their curtains, because then the passers-by would think something fishy took place there behind them, something they wanted to hide.
That is one interpretation, but one could ask oneself if it's true. Many people close the curtains.
Reasons I read on Scholieren.com:
"I close 'm; when I get up it'd be nice it's not the sun waking me up."
"Closed; people shouldn't look into my room (easy when it's light inside and dark outside)."
"Closed; else I can't sleep (too much light from outside)."
"Closed is more cosy; else you'd be looking into a dark hole."
"I don't have curtains in the living-room: open; in the bedroom they're closed."
"Closed."
"Closed; when it's getting dark we're closing them."
"Open; else it looks like you're in a bunker."
"Open at the front, closed at the back. Also closed when it would get too hot."
"Closed when I sleep. Also closed when I'm watching TV with bright daylight."
"I don't like to be watched."
"Closed, even though I live on the fourth floor."
"Closed, else people would look inside."
"When I go to sleep, I'll close them."
"Closed."
"Closed."
"My parents always close the curtains downstairs. At my room it's my choice."
"In my room they're closed."
"Closed (strips and roll-down shutters)."
"Closed, it's more cosy."
"Closed, it's nice and cosy."
"In my bedroom closed when I'm there; in the living-room there's only the luxaflex and it's never closed."
etc.

As for myself, my parents closed the curtains when it got dark (to keep the warmth inside and to prevent people from looking inside). I do that, too. cool

EDIT: Repaired the link.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Oct 30, 2017 3:22:17 PM]
[Oct 30, 2017 3:20:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

The one they show today happens to be 'Elle' directed by Paul Verhoeven.
Not trying to spoil anything, but isn't it a French film? I hope you have subtitles, like we do in the Netherlands with all foreign language movies.
[Oct 30, 2017 3:30:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 246   Pages: 25   [ Previous Page | 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread