Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 33
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21539 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Computation Error

Hello,

today i changed my GPU. I had a AMD 5750 and changed it to a AMD 7850.
After the change of the GPU all my workunits was stopped with the error message Computation Error.
I am running Windows 7 64 bit and use Catalyst Driver 12.10.

Can anybody help me solve that problem ?

Thanks and regards
Marco
[Nov 27, 2012 9:14:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:
Re: Computation Error

Suspend any tasks you have in cache so they don't all end up as errors then try reinstalling the driver.
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Nov 27, 2012 10:44:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Suspend any tasks you have in cache so they don't all end up as errors then try reinstalling the driver.

On other projects each workunit when downloaded is being run on a users specific gpu, when they change it all the units will error out as that gpu is no longer in the machine. Does WCG do the same thing? Or does WCG just say 'an AMD is an AMD is an AMD' and just move on.

[Nov 28, 2012 3:04:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have reinstalled the drivers of the gpu also i tryed and older version of the driver. I also reinstalled the boinc client. Nothing helps. Still computation error :(
[Nov 28, 2012 7:24:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

Hi Marco,

Try with the latest Beta driver 12.11.8 with .NET 4.0. support from the bottom of the page http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

You did not write what version of Boinc Manager are you using, so try 7.0.36 from here http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=6698&sort=5#45639

When installed, detach the WCG project and attach it again.

Good luck peace

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Nov 28, 2012 9:06:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

It is also important to do a clean install.
    Remove all AMD sofware via the AMD Catalyst Install Manager in Control Panel/Programs and Features (Win7).
    Reboot
    Run Driver Fusion to remove all AMD registry entries
    Reboot
    Re-install the latest AMD (beta) drivers.

Also, if you ever had any Nvidia cards installed, remove their leftovers via Driver Fusion also.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jim1348 at Nov 28, 2012 10:48:55 PM]
[Nov 28, 2012 10:46:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I will try this evening the things you suggested.

Thank you very much i will report if it helped
[Nov 29, 2012 1:39:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

So i still have the same problems. I deinstalled the drivers. I used the tool Driver Fusion also i rebootet. Than i installed the newest beta driver 12.11 B8 and installed Boinc 7.0.28

Today i will try to install the Development Version Boinc 7.0.36 was not possible download yesterday cause of problems with the berkeley webpage
[Nov 30, 2012 10:43:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

On other projects each workunit when downloaded is being run on a users specific gpu, when they change it all the units will error out as that gpu is no longer in the machine. Does WCG do the same thing?

I have seen strange things happen. It would be a good idea for the OP to abort all the tasks in the cache and try downloading new ones.

Maybe the easiest way is to just click on the "Reset project" button (in the "Projects" tab of BOINC Manager).
[Nov 30, 2012 11:03:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's only 2 GPU builds, ATI and NVidia, no further homogeneity check, so if card switching is ATI > ATI, the work is expected to remain good.

Resetting... I prefer:

1) Stop work fetch
2) Abort work [bulk select, abort]
3) Reset
4) Resume work fetch.

Not sure if that is a workable procedure with an app_info on board, that is configured for both GPU+CPU crunching. Can't wait for that client having the app_config feature and allow ditching of the anonymous platform contortions. Who knows a X-mas testing client present.
[Nov 30, 2012 12:21:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread