Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 1
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10852 times and has 0 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
News artcle: Federal center hopes to spur drug research

Hello WCG

I came across a news article and below are some snippets.

The drug industry's research productivity has been declining for 15 years and shows few signs of reversing that trend, said Dr. Francis S. Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health. The new center, to be called the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, will do as much research as it needs to so that it can attract drug company investment.
Where and how does efforts of public DC (DistributedComputing) in general, and those of WCG in particular fit in this matter? The idea that I'm picking up from the article is that the "baseline science" (a.k.a. openSource, publicDomain) needs to be developed to a high enough level before the for-profit drugCompanies (a.k.a closedSource, privateProfit) see some drug potential (or perhaps more accurately, monetary incentives) to do further research. Sounds reasonable to me, including the part about the idea that crunchers (from any public DC, including those from WCG) are not returning enough results (valid WUs) to effect a raise in the level of the "baseline science" sufficient to-, as the article puts it-, "attract drug company investment" and therefore the need for the said federal center and the financing that goes with it -- to do the research. Hmm.., would WCG get some of that funding? I doubt it but nonetheless an interesting angle, but that is another story.

Now, before any cruncher starts to feel annoyed or feel inadequate from the thinking that they are not returning enough WUs, do take comfort that research, like money -- is never enough..ever. Exactly why capitalism works! Exactly why today's latest-and-greatest electronics will be tomorrow's ho-hum. Exactly why crunchers are best advised to get their thrill from the chase and not from the kill.

The news article: Federal center hopes to spur drug research

Good day
;
[Jan 23, 2011 7:45:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread