Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16917 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
'Black hole' hosts?

I just got out of HCC, after picking up a ruby, but in the few weeks before I left the project I noticed that a small but significant number about of my work units that had wingmen that didn't reply. It was 2-3 WUs, out of the 30-35 I returned each day. It seems to me that numbers like that are higher than usual. Its like there are hosts out there obtaining WUs and just ignoring them completely. (Hence, black hole hosts)

At first I thought it was just a side effect of CEP2 kicking in on Mac and PC; and demanding decent amounts of resources from the other hosts. But the 'no reply' thing didn't fix itself after the initial 'shock' from CEP2 wore off.

I'm just wondering if anyone else on HCC is seeing the same thing, and if there is anything that can be done about it...
[Dec 5, 2010 4:11:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: 'Black hole' hosts?

I think the answer is simply the holidays. There are a lot of office computers that crunch on WCG. And since it is the end of the year, people are taking vacation, thus turning off their PCs. So you will notice more of this. Just a guess of course, but it is the most logical assumption
----------------------------------------

[Dec 5, 2010 4:30:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wplachy
Senior Cruncher

snip...I'm just wondering if anyone else on HCC is seeing the same thing, and if there is anything that can be done about it...

Aside from HPF2 I have seen ~ 10% of the multi-Quorum sub project WUs I do ending up with No Reply from first wingman. It seems to be a pattern that is consistent and not just HCC. Some time ago there was logic added to the server to do host matching. I saw a reduction for about a month and then a return to the above. I believe it's just the nature of the "beast" given the large number of crunchers and various individual circumstances (power outages, ISP outages, bad drivers, anhhai suggestion, etc.).

Bill P
Bill P

[Edit 1 times, last edit by wplachy at Dec 5, 2010 4:54:20 AM]
[Dec 5, 2010 4:52:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Perhaps if these crunchers could be better categorised and their tasks reported immediately, by server instruction. Laptops are on and off a lot, at weekends many work systems are off, systems die/get replaced/reinstalled... For big crunchers it pays to report groups of tasks, but for lightweight crunching systems this is not the case. I still think it might be beneficial if tasks could at least be reported on Boinc exit (or at least one attempt made). Perhaps if a report all tasks and shutdown option was included in Boinc it would be useful to all projects.
[Dec 5, 2010 4:43:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

There are the "give me" oriented and the "give you" oriented. A little RTFM combining e.g. http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-shutdown-script.html with http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Boinccmd and the sum can work for anyone to provide a long available fix for the "solution" oriented, one that actually forces the pre-shutdown reporting of completed tasks and then progressing to do that or hibernate... one can even make a short script and put it on the start bar under a shortcut and use that instead of the regular windows shutdown... at one click less than present :>)

Now I've shared a bit... who's going to post the tested procedure?

--//--
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Dec 5, 2010 6:17:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wplachy
Senior Cruncher

--//--

I will biggrin
The script is written and the BOINC interface is tested. I have to verify and test the shutdown piece for which I will have to wait until my current CEP2 tasks finish (don't want to lose all that time tongue ) most likely testing completed this weekend.

Two questions to you: 1) How would you like me to post it? My thoughts were to start a new thread in the Chat Room and copy the code into that post??

2) Since I only run WCG I could use some assistance verifying it will update all projects, not just WCG. Can/will you assist?

Bill P
Bill P

[Dec 9, 2010 4:48:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fablefox
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
love struck Re: 'Black hole' hosts?

I think it's what Anhai suggested. Your WU could be on my laptop :-)

No wait, it wasn't last week. Anyway, unlike GPU.GRID which have 5 day time frame, and bonuses for 1 day completion, 2 day completion (their calculation is different, current job must be finished before future job can be created, something like that) WCG has longer timeframe, and no bonuses for earlier completion.

I have a few finished WU on my laptop, which will go online tomorrow at the library.

Anyway, there will be bad things happens. I lost two WU after installing 64 bit boinc over 32 bit boinc, being a newbie and all. So don't worry to much, just be happy :-)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fablefox at Dec 10, 2010 7:03:47 PM]
[Dec 10, 2010 7:02:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
BOINC: 'Black hole' hosts?

--//--

I will biggrin
The script is written and the BOINC interface is tested. I have to verify and test the shutdown piece for which I will have to wait until my current CEP2 tasks finish (don't want to lose all that time tongue ) most likely testing completed this weekend.

Two questions to you: 1) How would you like me to post it? My thoughts were to start a new thread in the Chat Room and copy the code into that post??

2) Since I only run WCG I could use some assistance verifying it will update all projects, not just WCG. Can/will you assist?

Bill P

Yes, plz start a "BOINC: Pre-Computer shutdown Completed Tasks Reporting" thread, x-ref link to this thread. Use 6.10.58 as development base, service installed and I'll be happy to test and help debug.

ttyl

PS, new threads I'm starting are now having a title prefix... so if BOINC general I'm using "BOINC:...." (used for this post) if CEP2 using "CEP2:... " This way the title is unmistakable without having to remember where the heck one is when a bunch of tabs are open in the browser, for one. Not that I'm expecting any adoption to mention, but can always try... the [RESOLVED] is reasonably well used now after several years ;0)
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Dec 10, 2010 7:19:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wplachy
Senior Cruncher
Re: BOINC: 'Black hole' hosts?

Yes, plz start a "BOINC: Pre-Computer shutdown Completed Tasks Reporting" thread, x-ref link to this thread. Use 6.10.58 as development base, service installed and I'll be happy to test and help debug.

ttyl

Will do so. FYI I was able to test it as part of shutdown and the suggestion to specify it as a shutdown script using the Group Policy doesn't work. BOINC closes before the script runs, bummer. I modified it so that it will post the update command to BOINC and then invoke the windows shutdown program. What I will do this weekend is to see if there is an "easy" way to descripe linking it to the Quick Launch area and/or the "Power buton action" in Win 7.

parlare con te piĆ¹ tardi (<-hope I did that right biggrin)

Bill P
Bill P

[Dec 10, 2010 8:31:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wplachy
Senior Cruncher
Re: BOINC: 'Black hole' hosts?

ttyl

Done! Let me know what you think
Bill P

[Dec 12, 2010 12:22:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread