Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 124
Posts: 124   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 77928 times and has 123 replies Next Thread
GIBA
Ace Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: New Project Setting

I would like to suggest to tech team that will be a good idea review and update the system requirements page bellow:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=minimumreq

and in CEP2 observations, include this new setting possibility discussed in this thread. Thank you in advance.

well, would like to ask tech team take care about it, once since days ago was advised and now the requeriments are out of date regarding this project...
----------------------------------------
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Nov 10, 2010 12:29:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

How is bandwidth detected/defined? I have WAY more bandwidth than BOINC message tab is saying I do.

Every time the BOINC-client download a file, it keeps track of file-size and how long it takes to download the file, and calculates the download-speed. This new speed is weighted averaged against previous average speed.

So, BOINC measures the speed you're actually getting from the download-servers. This depends on the server, and the line between you and the server, so if the download-server only manages example 500 KB/s, it doesn't matter if you're sitting on a 100 Mbit-link, you'll still max get 500 KB/s.

Also, the overhead of downloading all the tiny files many WCG-wu's contains is high, so these files drags-down the average.

It's similar to a car, you can have a car that can manage 200 km/h, but this top-speed doesn't matter if you're daily sitting in a long queue of cars that only manages 20 km/h or something...

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Nov 10, 2010 5:59:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Thanks, my quad core now awaits the CEP2 WUs.

Patrick

[Nov 10, 2010 8:12:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
zombie67 [MM]
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

How is bandwidth detected/defined? I have WAY more bandwidth than BOINC message tab is saying I do.

Every time the BOINC-client download a file, it keeps track of file-size and how long it takes to download the file, and calculates the download-speed. This new speed is weighted averaged against previous average speed.

So, BOINC measures the speed you're actually getting from the download-servers. This depends on the server, and the line between you and the server, so if the download-server only manages example 500 KB/s, it doesn't matter if you're sitting on a 100 Mbit-link, you'll still max get 500 KB/s.

Also, the overhead of downloading all the tiny files many WCG-wu's contains is high, so these files drags-down the average.

Thanks. Is this a per-project or global measurement? Could a slow server on another project be impacting my score used by this project?

[Nov 11, 2010 1:05:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhhai
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I know it has already been suggested somewhere, but I don't remember seeing a response. Is there any chance of having an option of how many CEP2 WUs you can have at once? I mean 1 or infinite isn't the best option.
I know it is means more work and if it should not be a priority, but it would help us out. Most of us have cache, but we don't want to only crunch 1 CEP2 WU per day (cache size).

[Nov 11, 2010 2:13:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I suggested half the amount of cores per machine (ie, 8 core gets 4). This setting wouldn't tie up my DSL line uploading. Plus I can crunch other project on that computer.
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Nov 11, 2010 2:30:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Thanks. Is this a per-project or global measurement? Could a slow server on another project be impacting my score used by this project?

It's global, so one slow server will bring down the average.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Nov 11, 2010 5:57:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
katoda
Senior Cruncher
Poland
Project Badges:

Definitely we need more granulated options regarding CEP restrictions override.
I have some quite powerful PCs (like, i.e. quad core, 4GB RAM, plenty of free disk space and fast (up to 10 Mbit) Internet connection), which are constantly getting message about too slow connection speed. On other hand, I don't want to crunch 4 CEP workunits at a time, due to impact on disk space and disk/memory load - one unit at a time is OK for me and in this case override option in profile configuration page is useless for me.

[Nov 13, 2010 12:37:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I changed settings but a bit confusing were the instructon, my old age!
[Nov 13, 2010 4:14:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bearcat
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Knreed, is there any way to get more than 1 but not a full load of these wu's? The bandwidth kills my DSL line if I go to 100%. any way to make a formula to issue half of the number of cores per machine? I even tried selecting 2 projects but got a boat load of CEP2 vs a few on the other project.
Crunching for humanity since 2007!

[Nov 13, 2010 11:35:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 124   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread