Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 57
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28075 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Johnny Cool
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
A question for Dataman

Dataman, I have learned that you are doing some serious studies concerning the conversion of the ancient UD points conversion to Boinc. What have you discovered? biggrin
----------------------------------------

Team Andrax Co-Captain
Free-DC Stats
Join Team Andrax at WCG
[Oct 11, 2010 1:36:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: A question for Dataman

Hey JC, you long time cruncher. Yes, I have discovered that converting UD credits is on the list. Kevin said it was on the list somewhat around three years ago. He said it was on the list somewhat around three weeks ago. Seems they have to repair the WCG UD credit converter before they can proceed. They brought in a couple of CEs recently.

IBM CEs attempting to repair the WCG UD credit converter. (Cool hair, eh?)

I dont think it was successful. However, I did take some pics of their recent upgrades.

Uplingers installing some new storage! (Ouch! Those tubes are hot!!)

Thats Tedi operating the Forums dirty word finder.

Theres Kevin at the helm.

I must have more power for my crunchers!

Mission Accomplished. Dr. Anderson drops by from Berkeley to inspect. He said BOINC does not care about UD credits.

Meanwhile old and young UD crunchers look for their credits.

I have hired a private investigator to find the UD credits!!

not talking

Even my dog is looking for those UD credits.

The search continues for UD credits ... and we will persevere. Thanks for asking JC. biggrin

cowboy

[Oct 11, 2010 2:26:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

Good I have no UD credits. laughing laughing laughing

[Oct 11, 2010 7:45:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Seems the easier way forward for BOINC world is to convert everyone else and henceforth call the benchmarks

Whetudstone
Dhryudstone

BTW, seems that already one of those Suricata Suricatta (Meerkats) gave up and died from exhaustion. ;P
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Oct 11, 2010 8:18:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

BREAKING NEWS:
Angry Mob Marches on WCG Demanding Their Missing UD Credits!

[Oct 11, 2010 2:52:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Patrick

[Edit 2 times, last edit by pcwr at Oct 11, 2010 9:00:23 PM]
[Oct 11, 2010 3:03:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Johnny Cool
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

BREAKING NEWS:
Angry Mob Marches on WCG Demanding Their Missing UD Credits!

Dataman,

Team Andrax Co-Captain
Free-DC Stats
Join Team Andrax at WCG
[Oct 11, 2010 3:06:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

@pcwr only: plz size down your image... officially widths of 600 pixel, but if it fits my 1024 wide screen without pushing the badges off, few will object.

Do NOT reply to this message... I'll be deleting when I see the shrunk has taken place.

cheers

edit: someone did hit the REPLY button above my post, so now it cant be deleted... here forever as a distraction, and a learning point. :D
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Oct 12, 2010 11:00:33 AM]
[Oct 11, 2010 3:11:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

A Brief History of Crunching, Credits, Dog Year Points & Badges by Dataman

In the beginning there was nothing and darkness was on the face of the void.

Then Berkeley said, “Dude, if I could find some little green men we could all party and they might bring some beer!” On the first day, Berkeley created SETI and he saw that it was good. On the second day, he took a memory stick from an old machine, and Berkeley created crunchers of every nationality and he saw that they were good (and worked for free). For the rest of the week Berkeley created a cruncher’s paradise and he saw that it was good. On the seventh day Berkeley said, “Dog! I’m wasted.” So grabbing a cappuccino from Italy and some ganja from Jamaica, he curled up with his PhD and rested.

In another realm there was an evil prince called Grid.org. Deep in his black heart he knew that if he could attract companies with something to crunch to crunchers that wanted to crunch then capitalism would prevail and there was money to be made. But alas, in the end he tricked the friendly crunchers into crunching bad projects and even made them do the same meaningless work over and over. But the friendly crunchers discovered his evil tricks and one night Grid.ord disappeared and was never heard from again.

Just when the friendly crunchers thought all was lost, a voice was heard in the distance. A blue knight on a white horse rode in from a land called White Plains. “Follow me and my mate United Devices and together we will build a crystal temple to the one true God of Science. Together we will cure disease, end hunger, discover new science and, once and for all, prove mathematically that 2+2=4. There, all of the friendly crunchers can crunch good projects in safety and we shall call it the World Community Grid.” And thus it became so and the friendly crunchers saw that it was good. However, United Devices was old, inflexible and not open source and over time it withered and became close to death. Again Berkeley’s voice was heard saying, “Dude, that SETI party was way cool but I could not find any little green men but those SETI gals sure put out. On the eighth day I had a bit of a hangover and I made this thing called BOINC and it can not only out crunch UD but it also makes a mean margarita too!!! But dude, you have to learn to divide by seven.” And WCG saw that it was good (and made a mental note about the SETI gals). But in their haste to install BOINC, WCG did not learn how to divide by seven and did not convert their dog year points to credits. They did not report the old UD credits to the stat’s services. Old UD crunchers have been looking for their UD credits ever since. However, a whole new generation has had to learn how to divide by seven.

Then others built their own temples to the one God of Science and spirited away some of WCG’s crunchers. “Psssst, WCG cruncher. If you will come here and crunch I will pay you more credits.” Some even made it their mission to save video gamers from a wasted life of depravity, cold pizza and diet Coke by showing them how to crunch on GPU’s and save the world. And the gamers saw that it was good.

WCG then began to lose market share. They abandoned their love of the one God of Science and made graven images of many gods. They crafted them from precious metals and later encrusted them with jewels from the far reaches of the world. They called them badges and encouraged their crunchers to covet and worship them. Some of the once friendly crunchers began to argue and fight among themselves over the graven images, dog year points, CPU time and errors and they abandoned their love of the one true God of Science for a lust for badges. They would crunch any project, no matter how perverse or depraved, to satisfy their addiction for the precious badge. Some, it is said, have sold their children into slavery to get that next badge.

Prophesy states that one day the one true God of Science will return. On that day of rapture the true believers will be transported to the crystal temple where they will crunch forever on golden, thousand-core machines with a million GHz processors. Electricity will be free and no work unit will ever error out. Every work unit will be granted more credits than was requested.

Woe be it to the crunchers who accepted the false gods of badges. They will be cast down below where their badges will be rent from their writhing flesh and cast into a lake of molten fire. Their machines will be ground into dust and the evil crunchers will be forced to watch reruns of “Dancing with the Stars” and “America’s Idol” for all eternity. Thus sayith The Prophesy …

Cheers to all and crunch on!!

cowboy

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dataman at Oct 11, 2010 9:26:18 PM]
[Oct 11, 2010 7:44:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LCB001
Advanced Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

A Brief History of Crunching, Credits, Dog Year Points & Badges by Dataman

In the beginning there was nothing and darkness was on the face of the void.

They called them badges and encouraged their crunchers to covet and worship them. Some of the once friendly crunchers began to argue and fight among themselves over the graven images, dog year points, CPU time and errors and they abandoned their love of the one true God of Science for a lust for badges. They would crunch any project, no matter how perverse or depraved, to satisfy their addiction for the precious badge. Some, it is said, have sold their children into slavery to get that next badge.

cowboy

Thank you Mr. Dataman for the best post I have read in a long time.

One minor quibble, I would never crunch a depraved project.

Perverse maybe, but never depraved... whistling...

[Oct 11, 2010 8:31:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread