Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7162 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Results files getting larger?

The percentage at which they jump to completed seems to be getting higher (my AMD 4200+ is showing over 49% Progress on a WU at the moment), and the initial time estimates more-accurate, but it seems like the *_4 results files keep getting larger, too... when it started they were between 9MB and 11MB, but I've noticed them getting progressively larger, and my Q6600 just uploaded one that was 14.26MB.

Any projections on how large the *_4 results files might be getting as time goes on?

Or is the results file size fluctuation just an anomaly?
(even though it seems to be trending only in an upwards direction at the moment.)
[Jul 13, 2010 1:29:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Results files getting larger?

By the time that quads get into the 12 hour CPU time, we'll be up to 70-80Mb, same as in the beta and as per the project news/ research descriptions and FAQs... i.e. no surprises.

The upload bottleneck they'll have to address. A single result upload manages to get here about 90-95kBps at top. 3 uploads concurrent, part _4, gets me about 35-38kBps, thus making it seem part of the crawl is caused on my side. For now don't think that lowering the requirement is yet in order... let's see first which side buckles first when the windows app comes on-line, but then WCG/Harvard have to address the time outs. Still seeing the occasional, restart when near 100% and then resuming from near the beginning... that wastes every contributors bandwidth, whether limitless or budget. We're now in the 13-15MB result sizes so expect to see more as we progress, if that remains unaddressed... but knobbing bwdown... there's no reason. My quad shows 1.8mBps, so the bandwidth is there and that after a longer series of receiving only CEP2 tasks.

edit: added windows part.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jul 13, 2010 2:04:40 PM]
[Jul 13, 2010 1:53:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

PS: When full production bandwidth data is known to support any decision to loosen the bandwidth requirements is I think better than now lowering them and then WCG going on face and having to tighten things.
[Jul 13, 2010 2:17:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

By the time that quads get into the 12 hour CPU time, we'll be up to 70-80Mb, same as in the beta and as per the project news/ research descriptions and FAQs... i.e. no surprises.
[snip]

Wow... no, I never saw any that large, and I had quite a few beta WUs.

Thanks for the quick reply.
[Jul 13, 2010 2:47:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Maybe I need to qualify. The first CEP2 beta's had them this big where they would fall over due a file output setting not being big enough. The last pass had the output shrunk to something like 35-40MB. The biggest seen so far was 5:14 hours and had a 15MB file, so that kind of tallies.
[Jul 13, 2010 2:54:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Maybe I need to qualify. The first CEP2 beta's had them this big where they would fall over due a file output setting not being big enough. The last pass had the output shrunk to something like 35-40MB. The biggest seen so far was 5:14 hours and had a 15MB file, so that kind of tallies.

For what it's worth, when the largest result files here got up to about 35MB, they dropped back down to 15MB and started growing again.
I don't know how many times they've done that - I just happened to notice it a couple days ago.
[Feb 13, 2012 7:20:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi ZoSo,
yes, you are right - you can read more on the details in the corresponding forum thread.
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team
[Feb 22, 2012 5:26:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread