Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 130
Posts: 130   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 55772 times and has 129 replies Next Thread
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together Phase 2 Beta Type A Dec 16 2009

I don't know if all these beta WUs are running the same but, so far, mine seems very linear and after 10 % done a simple extrapolation was giving an estimated total CPU time within 10 % of what it might be. After 20 % the approximation was probably less than 5 % and this convergence seems to be confirmed percent after percent.

So take the CPU time at a given checkpoint, extrapolate with the percentage already done and you can forget about what BOINC Manager might be telling you about how long remains to be done.
----------------------------------------
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Dec 18, 2009 1:07:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Wow..I have a BETA and it is only at 11% after 13 hours.
[Dec 18, 2009 2:33:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Let's see...what to respond to first...

The screen saver. The work units without the BETA tag were not disabled. Our general practice is to disable the screen saver on BETA work units. Since they were not labeled as such when loaded the screen saver should have worked like it would in production.

Linear progression in time. Jean, your assumption of being able to extrapolate the total runtime is correct. Generally there may be a variance of +/- 5 minutes per large loop. But if you have reached 10% you should be able to take this equation to find out your machines proper remaining work time.

<time completed> - (100.0 / <percent complete> * <time completed>)

time completed is how much cpu time is listed in your task manager. So say it shows 30 hours 15 minutes...this would be 30.25. 30 hours 45 minutes is 30.75...

percent complete is the percentage number. so if boinc shows 50.08%, you would just use 50.08 for this value. No need to decrease it by 100.

I need to read a few more posts and respond...

Hope this helps,
-Uplinger
[Dec 18, 2009 2:49:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Wow! It seems to be gone for 4.5 days... Is this machine crunching 24/24?
[Dec 18, 2009 2:50:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

Memory requirements...

Well at the moment we set the minimum memory needed available on the system to 768 MB of Ram. On Linux I have seen about 250MB of physical RAM used and 550 MB of virtual. I expect most of the type A's to fall around this size. The size of memory used varies on the size of the molecule being calculated...larger molecule, more memory.

But at this point I would guess that 400MB physical RAM will be used per work unit. With virtual being about twice the size of physical memory usage.

-Uplinger
[Dec 18, 2009 3:30:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

Ok, I think I answered all out standing questions to the best of my knowledge, if I missed one please bring it to my attention.

Thanks,
-Uplinger

Side note, returned one of the beta work unit I got :) So we should start seeing more finished work units :) Where are my wingmen?!?!?! lol

Again thanks to all for their participation and help with this beta.
[Dec 18, 2009 3:33:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

It's been a very smooth BETA so far. My i7's should starting completing in <4 hours, the Q6600's in about 8 hours. The poor old Pentium D is huffing and puffing at only 44% complete. I should rebuild that machine but it like throwing away your favorite sweatshirt ... even though it is worn out ... you just hate to part with it. laughing biggrin laughing

cowboy

[Dec 18, 2009 3:46:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Where are my wingmen?!?!?! lol
For me it should be sometime between 2 and 3 UTC, but it is not on your completed WU that I am your wingman.
So please hurry up on mine. smile
Jean.
[Dec 18, 2009 4:40:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Guess you have the wrong wingmen... ;-)
Mine (although I do not know him) was reliable and returned his result ahead of me. So WU erlc_a007_ps0000 completed and validated. :-)
And meanwhile the second wingman returned his result too - don't know who was first. Anyway, the WU is valid, that's most important!
[Dec 18, 2009 6:20:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have erlc_a001_ps0000 and erlc_a003_ps0000 expected to complete in approximately 4 hours.
[Dec 18, 2009 6:33:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 130   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread