Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 479 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Fetch more work units

Hi

Ss there a way to fetch more work then 2 units (2 core system) at a time. I often travel for about 5-6 hours and it processes the 2 units in about 4 hours (wasting about 2 hours on each core).
[Jul 19, 2007 8:12:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Fetch more work units

Hello fgd321,
The device profile has a line that says 'Connect every ?0.1? days' Just up that another 0.2 days or so and the buffer size will increase.
Lawrence
[Jul 19, 2007 8:22:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

At least...

BOINC scheduling for version 5.8+ can cause problems if it is set much above 3 days. Mine runs fine now at 2.5. That will cover short server downtime and maintenance periods. I usually connect once or twice per day. If the queue is wound down, it will download up to 10 workunits at a time. If it needs more, it will download up to 10 more, etc. Usually you will only see that many for fast running projects like GC, which just wrapped up. Normally now, after sending one or two workunits, it immediately downloads one or two workunits to keep the queue full. This is desired behavio(u)r.

The small downside is that you need more disk space to store more workunits.

I tested this situation: It seems like the due date is 9+ days out there and you can load up. Unfortunately the BOINC scheduler does strange things when the network connect is set too high. It is counterintuitive. The queue will totally empty before downloading new jobs. Unfortunately, I couldn't guarantee being connected at that point in time, so it would just do nothing until I see the problem and reconnect.
BOINC 5.4 would let you run with a larger queue.
----------------------------------------
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 2 times, last edit by retsof at Jul 19, 2007 11:04:00 PM]
[Jul 19, 2007 10:58:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
olympic
Senior Cruncher

Since I alread had this handy: biggrin

That's the setting you are looking for. In your particular case, 0.5 days should be plenty. You always want to be generous with the queue size incase you go offline just before BOINC was going to communicate and retrieve more work. I have mine set to 3 days only because they are on 24/7 with constant internet access.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by olympic at Jul 20, 2007 7:28:42 AM]
[Jul 20, 2007 7:27:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread